Follow the CLOT BUSTER on Twitter @CLOTBUSTER


Get YOUR very own CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots

The "CLOT BUSTERs RACING to STOP THE CLOT" RUNNING SHIRT + TRIATHLON TOP + CYCLING JERSEY + PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT & PERFORMANCE VISOR and PERFORMANCE HEADBAND

PLEASE HELP US CELEBRATE CLOT SURVIVORS and spread awareness about blood clots and blood clotting disorders.
If you are a CLOT SURVIVOR you need polka-dots to inspire others and CELEBRATE that you are Survivor.
If you are a FAMILY MEMBER or FRIEND of a blood clot survivor you need polka-dots to spread the word, create awareness and CELEBRATE your Survivor's Accomplishments!



CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE VISOR - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot SHORT SLEEVE PERFORMANCE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stopthec

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

Saturday, April 22, 2023

April Athlete of the Month

Well... looks like April slipped right through my fingers and I almost missed this month's post.

It has been busy month.

Lots of CLOT BUSTER @TeamSTOPTHECLOT polka-dot packages going out this month to Blood Clot Survivors all over the USA and Canada. It is a thrill to get to mail this packages of polka-dot goodness to people who are overcoming the challenges of blood clots and really getting back some sort of normalcy. I have said it many times... IT IS TRULY INSPIRING!

As it stands this month's post will need to be short and sweet as I need to fit in a Saturday "longish" workout ahead of my "futbol" coaching duties, and weekend chores... pedal to the metal everyday - ALL DAY.

This month's athlete of the month is DAVID and his story was first posted on STOPTHECLOT.org as part of the series of stories featured during Blood Clot Awareness Month in March. This is another interesting story worth reading as blood clots don't care about how young or fit you are... when they are coming they are coming... the question is... will you be ready to understand the signs and symptoms, will you seek help and be your advocate when doctors are hesitant, will you be able to overcome to come back to the best of your ability? 

It is not easy BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!! David is doing it at his level... everyone has their own level which will allow you to return and hopefully be better than ever!

I had a pulmonary embolism in the fall of 2016. I was just 24 years old and was an avid runner/marathoner. I had completed about 10 marathons, including the iconic Boston Marathon.  

At the time, I didn’t really know what a blood clot was, and I completely missed the signs of a blood clot developing in my leg. In my mind, any sign of leg cramping just meant I was pushing a little too hard from all of the running.   

But, a couple of weeks after some cramping in my legs began, I started to develop chest pain. I waited a couple of days before going to the hospital. On the day I finally went to get looked at, I had run 16 miles that morning. I was young, fit, and healthy. Doctors were skeptical when they first started running tests.   

They eventually discovered I had a blood clot, and I stayed in the hospital for a couple of days. Tests showed that I have the factor V Leiden clotting disorder and I would need to be on blood thinners indefinitely.  

The road back to full health wasn’t easy. Doctors didn’t know if I would be able to run the same way again. I started having regular panic attacks and still battle with anxiety today. I got back into running and did my first marathon about a year after the blood clot with Team Stop the Clot® at the New York City Marathon. I ran it in two hours and 47 minutes (2:47) and I have since run a 1:13 half marathon and a 2:42 full marathon.   

Over the last couple of years, I have gotten into triathlons. I qualified for the 70.3 World Championships in my first attempt at the distance and competed at the World Champs in 2021 and 2022. I finished my first Ironman in November 2022 in less than 10 hours. I’m very close to earning a professional license in the sport, which is my goal in 2023. 

Having a blood clot makes me more aware of my surroundings. I have to think about things other people don’t. When I’m riding a bike or driving a car, there’s an added risk if I were to get into an accident. The various blood clot forums have been helpful since there aren’t a lot of studies on high-level athletes and blood clots. 

The journey back hasn’t been easy, but things seem to get a little easier each day. My wife, my family, and the larger blood clot community have provided immense support. I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. 

BLOOD CLOT SURVIVORS CAN DO ANYTHING!

Never Stop trying to overcome. It is worth it!

Thank you for reading,

The Clot Buster

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any residual swelling? What exercises and other things you do to recover completely?

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!
#100 TRIATHLONS