Follow the CLOT BUSTER on Twitter @CLOTBUSTER


Get YOUR very own CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots

The "CLOT BUSTERs RACING to STOP THE CLOT" RUNNING SHIRT + TRIATHLON TOP + CYCLING JERSEY + PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT & PERFORMANCE VISOR and PERFORMANCE HEADBAND

PLEASE HELP US CELEBRATE CLOT SURVIVORS and spread awareness about blood clots and blood clotting disorders.
If you are a CLOT SURVIVOR you need polka-dots to inspire others and CELEBRATE that you are Survivor.
If you are a FAMILY MEMBER or FRIEND of a blood clot survivor you need polka-dots to spread the word, create awareness and CELEBRATE your Survivor's Accomplishments!



CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE VISOR - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot SHORT SLEEVE PERFORMANCE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stopthec

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

Thursday, March 03, 2022

March Athlete of the Month

MARCH IS BLOOD CLOT AWARENESS MONTH

This is the month in which raising awareness, celebrating blood clot survivors, and remembering those along the way really comes into focus so that we can make an EVEN BIGGER difference.

BLOOD CLOT SURVIVORS CAN DO ANTHING! #STOPTHECLOT

Blood clot survivors inspire us all every day.

This month we get the wonderful privilege to read about an incredible individual who is willing to share his story with us. 

Take some time to read this story because it is one that you are going to enjoy.

I can't wait to see JOHN in the CLOT BUSTER @TeamStopTheClot polka-dots racing along as we celebrate that he is overcoming the challenges of his blood clotting incident. No blood clot is going to stop him!

Please read on and enjoy...

What is your sport/activity of choice? Why do you enjoy it? 

For over 40 years my activity of choice is running.  I also love open water swimming and biking the country roadsides.  I began running on Jan 3, 1980. I started with .5 miles and over the coming months and years I’ve completed 45+ marathons, numerous ½ marathons, hundreds of 5 and 10Ks, and a few dozen Sprint and Olympic triathlons.

 

Running brings me joy and peace in my body, mind, and spirit.  I believe in the body, mind, spirit model as working together for optimal health. Once in the ‘zone’ I can breathe, relax, and often process life’s challenges.

 

How did you get started in that sport? 

I got started at the age of 30 after looking in the mirror and understanding what I saw was not healthy for me.  I was married and my wife and I had six children.  Deciding to start running was a plan to regain my health for a future with my wife and children and now 10 grandchildren.

 

What is the latest milestone you achieved or plan to achieve?

This past summer I completed a Sprint and Olympic Triathlon and a ½ marathon. I placed first in my age group in the Olympic distance and 2nd.  in my age  group in the Sprint.  I place 7th. out of 27 in the ½ marathon in my age group. (*1st. place in the triathlon should be noted that I also came in LAST.  I was the only participant in my age group of 70 -74!) 

 

One milestone in my running career was qualifying for and running in the Boston Marathon in 2005.

 

Tells about your clotting episode.  Are you on blood thinners now? How long were you out of commission? 

The Thursday before Thanksgiving 2020 I went out for a 4 mile run.  A few hundred yards down the road I experienced labored breathing and needed to stop to catch my breath.  I took a few breaths and started off again.  A few more yards and I needed to stop and walk again.  Then I bent over and observed that my right ankle and calf were extremely swollen and tight as a drum.  I thought, ‘Well, this is a no brainer.  This needs a doctor’s attention, NOW!’

I was not able to jog back to my house so I walked as quickly as I could and phoned my doctor.  I found out from the office that my doctor is not in on Thursdays.  (wouldn’t you know it!).  The office advised me to head straight to the Emergency room. 

 

As my wife had an appointment within the hour, I decided to drive myself to the Emergency room housed in the Ohio Health medical facility a few miles from my house.  (*note: People should NOT drive themselves to the Emergency Room!)

 

Upon arrival to the Emergency waiting room filled with patients waiting to be seen with possible Covid, I checked in and sat a far distance down the hallway to avoid the coughing.  In about 15 minutes I was seen by a triage nurse who immediately put me at the front of the line for being seen by a doctor/s.

 

Within an hour I had an ultra-sound finding a DVT in my right leg and a CT scan finding multiple ( whatever that means)clots in all quadrants of my lungs.  Soon I was on an IV drip of Heparin.

 

The Emergency Room doctor and PA shared with me the serious nature of my condition and that I was very fortunate to be in the ER and being treated.  I asked what might happen if I wasn’t being treated.  The ER doc said, “You’d be dead.” What a wake-up call that was!

 

Informing my wife, Roseann, of my condition was pretty emotional.  We’ve lived well in our 48 years of marriage and desire to have many more.  This incident had the potentiality of changing that.  This emotional realization led me to know this event was more than just a physical challenge.  Having a serious health event like PEs bring to the forefront the fact that we are all beings of body, mind and spirit.  In the coming weeks I came to realize dealing with the emotional impact of a PE and recovery and healing.

 

It was decided to have me transported to a larger hospital across town and to be admitted.  After calling for transport I was informed that all the area hospitals were swamped and getting a room in the desired hospital would take some time.  I spent the night in a room in the ER and transport was finally arranged the following morning. 

 

Once I arrived at the ER in the hospital I was to wait another 5 hours before a room was ready.  The ER doctors at this hospital also wanted to do an echocardiogram of my heart to make sure there was no collateral damage to my heart.

 

So, long story short… my heart imaging came out with no damage and I was released the following day with a prescription for Eliquis and orders to have a follow up with my PCP/Sports doctor.

 

In a few days I had a follow-up appointment and was prescribed walking only the first week with short swims at my YMCA the second week.  My doctor and I consulted closely and we worked out a 2 month plan resulting in: 25 minute swims 2x a week, running every other day starting with 2 miles and getting up to 4 miles, periodic free weight training, and all the walking I could comfortably tolerate.

 

When were you able to get back into your activity?  How did it feel that first time?  

After my hospital discharge I had my first follow up with my PCP/Sports doctor within a few days.  We discussed the seriousness of my condition and he recommended I walk one mile at a time for the first week. The plan from there was another follow up 3 weeks later. On my 2nd. follow up visit the plan was to keep the walking and resume swimming but for only 15 minutes.  A stationary bike could be added for 20 minutes the following week.  I could resume running/jogging 3 weeks after that. 

 

So, basically, over a 7 week period I progressed from walking to swimming to biking to running.  On week 8 I began running a 5K every other day.

 

At first my runs had me constantly monitoring my breathing and pace.  I realized getting back into running was not just a physical activity but a mental one as well.  The constant monitoring of my breathing and legs took away from the joys of being back on the road.  Still, even with the nervous cautions, I was grateful to be back to on the road allowing my body to move as it had for over 40 years.

 

I must include an element of concern in my initial recovery process and back into activity.  I had not prepared myself for the mental health component in my recovery.  Having had a skirting with the possibility of sudden death, I was having some concerns for my mental health and how I would ‘recover’ to a state of confidence in my physical/sport activities.

 

Up until my DVT and PE diagnosis I pretty much felt I could do just about anything I wanted to do: walk anywhere, run anywhere and for hours if I wanted, swim in a pool, a lake, an ocean, and bike country roads to the horizon.

 

Now, there was a lingering caution I had not experienced before.  Well, maybe when I’d swim during a ‘red flag’ in the Gulf of Mexico.  There was caution in my mind during that swim!  This lingering caution, I felt was emotional and I classified it as a mental health issue.  Was I going to have a clot move and give me a stroke or stop my breathing? 

 

I discussed this ‘mental health’ issue with my doctor and he affirmed, as I suspected, that it was part of my healing process.  Our bodies are integrally linked to our minds and of course to our spirits.  My doctor said he could recommend a sports psychologist if I thought I needed one.  I appreciated that suggestion as it assured me my doctor didn’t think ‘it was all in my mind’.

 

Mental health issues during PE recovery and healing is real and I encourage survivors to begin talking about it with their doctors if they experience this.

 

What is your favorite piece of gear for your favorite activity? 

I’ve been running in Mizuno shoes for nearly 30 years and will continue with them.  Don’t fix what isn’t broken.  I ride the Cannondale CAAD12 and it suits me just fine at this point.  Recently, a friend and I had trisuits designed and produced with logos representing our home town.  We wear these when we do triathlons.  I also recently ordered my STOP the CLOT t-shirt and hat.  I will wear these this coming spring and summer.

 

How much are you getting out doing your sport?  

I’m out almost every day.  Stationary bike once a week, swimming twice a week, running 3 times a week, walking daily.  I also do some free weight exercises a couple times a week.

 

What is your favorite food?  

My favorite food after a very hot summer long distance run or bike is cold watermelon.  There’s nothing like cold watermelon upon returning from a very hot workout.

 

If you could go some place to visit and explore, where would like to go? 

My two ‘bucket list’ locations are Machu Picchu, Peru and the native land of my ancestors – Slovenia.

 

What would like to say to someone who is going through a clotting episode, perhaps very similar to yours?  How can people return to

do what they enjoy? Tells about your concerns and what you look out after.

As I noted above, the surprise I did not expect in my recovery was the ‘mental health’ component.  I think most people with their doctor will be able to discuss, design and implement a physical recovery program.

 

But, I’m guessing most people will not be informed or guided about the emotional component that will spring up unexpectedly. For me this is a part of the body, mind, spirit recovery/healing process and needs attention just like the physical body needs attention.

 

As founder of USAHealthNation, I have ,for over a decade, advocated for physically active people to consider the reality that we are more than our bodies when we are out on the road or in an organized event.  We our body, mind and spirit and each component deserves equal attention. 


Are you inspired yet? 

The mental health side of overcoming a clotting incident is certainly something we need to talk more about as it is common amongst all blood clot survivors. Everyone of the posts on this blog has a mention of the fear of the clots happening again and how survivors have been able to overcome the added mental challenge. 

I have nothing but admiration for those who can continue to move forward and overcome. 

BLOOD CLOT SURVIVORS CAN DO ANYTHING!

Thanks for reading,

The Clot Buster

No comments:

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!
#100 TRIATHLONS