Follow the CLOT BUSTER on Twitter @CLOTBUSTER


Get YOUR very own CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots

The "CLOT BUSTERs RACING to STOP THE CLOT" RUNNING SHIRT + TRIATHLON TOP + CYCLING JERSEY + PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT & PERFORMANCE VISOR and PERFORMANCE HEADBAND

PLEASE HELP US CELEBRATE CLOT SURVIVORS and spread awareness about blood clots and blood clotting disorders.
If you are a CLOT SURVIVOR you need polka-dots to inspire others and CELEBRATE that you are Survivor.
If you are a FAMILY MEMBER or FRIEND of a blood clot survivor you need polka-dots to spread the word, create awareness and CELEBRATE your Survivor's Accomplishments!



CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE VISOR - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot SHORT SLEEVE PERFORMANCE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stopthec

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

Thursday, June 01, 2017

June Athlete of the Month

At last summer is here and the CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots are free to race far and wide...!

Very excited about all the places the CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots are getting shipped to... Many blood clot Survivors and friends are survivors are ready to help us spread the word about blood clots and blood clotting disorders.  While also celebrating Survival and being able to Overcome!

One of those Survivors is GAIL AVEDANO our June Athlete of the Month.  Poor Gail was inquiring about the polka-dot gear and little that she know she was going to be "interviewed" so that she could share with all of us her story of survival.

We are very lucky that she is willing to share her story as ANY OF US, regardless of age - race - physical condition, can suffer from this silent killer.  We have to always be aware of the signs and symptoms because it could saver your life.

Get reading and be inspired this summer to not ever give up if you are battling to overcome... because a come back to normal or almost normal is always within reach...

1)  What is you sport/activity of choice? Why do you enjoy it? 
I primarily do three different activities: running, Bikram Yoga, and walking my two dogs. I'm a huge proponent of cross training and find that these activities complement each other. They all help keep me sane in different ways. 


2)  How did you get started in that sport? 
In terms of running, I completed my first half marathon in 2007--intending to walk the whole thing. The day of the race, I got so caught up in the excitement that I ended up running parts of it and from then on, I was hooked. My story is the typical "mom runner" story. My three kids were young when I started running and running gave me the alone time I needed while also helping me to de-stress. I'm certain that running made me a better mom. I also learned early on that I needed to be signed up for an upcoming race in order to have motivation to run. That, for me was key.



3)  What is the latest milestone you achieved or plan to achieve?(Long bike ride, some race coming up or that you did) 
As of January this year, I've completed a half marathon in all fifty states. It took me ten years to do it, but it was a wonderful goal that kept me focused on my workouts and gave me a great reason to meet up with my best friend from college a few times a year. She and I completed the goal together and it was great to have her support and motivation through it all. Now I sign up for races I consider "fun" and don't care what state they are in. I'm still managing to keep my race calendar full and I'm looking forward to completing the Portland (full) Marathon in October.

4)  Tells about your clotting episode.  Are you on blood thinners now? How long were you out of commission? 
I'm on Xarelto after a trip to the emergency room on December 31, 2016. For about a month, I had a dull, nagging pain along my lower right side and was certain that I had pulled a muscle. After getting a massage, the pain subsided--confirming (I thought) that my pain was muscular. During the holiday break, I found that it hurt to lie flat on my back when I tried to go to sleep and the pain was worse when I took a deep breath. At no point would I say I had shortness of breath, though. I also never had leg pain so I'm pretty sure my clot did not start there.

The night of December 30th, I went to bed and could not get comfortable. The pain increased to the point where it was unbearable so I went to the emergency room--certain that I was having a gall bladder attack or something similar. I was shocked to learn that I had a clot that took up a third of my lower right lung. I was in the hospital for two days and took a week off of work, but I never had to be on supplemental oxygen. I credit my running and regular yoga practice for having strong lungs that could withstand the blockage. A sonogram on my heart showed no damage, and I was cleared to return to normal activities very quickly.



5)  When were you able to get back into your activity?  How did it feel that first time?
My 50th state half marathon was scheduled to take place less than three weeks after my emergency room visit and there was no way I wanted to give up my week-long trip to Hawaii. My doctor thought I was a bit overzealous, but said I could do the race if I walked most of it and didn't overexert myself. So, my last state race was--on one hand--a huge bummer because I had to do it so slowly, but--on the other hand--a huge relief and celebration that I was physically able to do it. I describe that race on my blog: https://halfsandhikes.wordpress.com/2017/01/28/aloha-series-50th-state/

6)  What is your favorite piece of gear for your favorite activity? (Bike brand, running shoes, perhaps a running singlet or the Clot Buster's Running Polka-Dot Technical Shirt...) 
I look forward to wearing my new Clot Buster's hat in all of my upcoming races, but my favorite gear would have to be my Garmin Vivoactive HR+. Not only does it have a GPS tracker, but it also tracks my heart rate--something I never cared about before but now do.

7)  How much are you getting out doing your sport?  (Everyday you do some training, 2, 3, 4 times per week) 
Every day I either run, walk, or go to a Bikram Yoga class. I would say I generally run three times a week.

8)   What is your favorite food?  Either generally or after a workout.  For me there is nothing better than a Chipotle Burrito... 
My favorite post-race meal is a cheeseburger, fries, and a beer. In normal life, though, I try to eat much healthier than that.

9)  If you could go some place to visit and explore, where would like to go? 
I live in Utah, which has the most amazing hiking options. I could explore forever in my own backyard and never see it all. 

10)  What would like to say to someone who is going through a clotting episode, perhaps very similar to yours?  How can people return to do what they enjoy? Tells about your concerns and what you look out after as you got back. 
I would tell them to ask as many questions as they can and seek out information from reliable sources. I am lucky because my doctor's wife went through a very similar experience to mine and is now on anti-coagulants for life because she had two clotting episodes. I can't begin to tell you how understanding and helpful that made my doctor when it came to my situation. 

I also know, from reading so many stories, that everyone is different and people have different side effects. Shortness of breath and anxiety are common symptoms, but I haven't experienced either. I have, however, noticed that my heart rate spikes pretty quickly and I feel like I have to be careful about that. I started getting back into running by walking. I also know I will probably never get anohter sub two-hour time, but that's okay. Now, five months out, I am still taking walking breaks during my runs. I'm staying active, though, and that is helping to prevent future clots. Staying active also helps to strengthen my heart and lungs, and the fact that I was already in good physical condition when I got a blood clot is why I recovered so quickly.

My concern now is in looking ahead. I'm pretty sure my clot was caused by being on birth control pills so I now know any hormone replacement therapy is out of the question for me. I'm also pretty sure that means I will only have to be on an anti-coagulant for a year (my doctor's recommendation) since I can identify a known cause. I haven't had blood tests, though, to identify any clotting abnormalities in my blood and I plan to have those done when I can. Finding out I have Factor V Leiden, for example, might prompt me to be on an anti-coagulant for life.

I share the fear that others have regarding medication. I'm scared to be on it because of a potential bleeding episode and I'm scared to be off of it for fear I will develop another pulmonary embolism. You can't live your life in fear though, and you can only control so much. No matter what, I'll keep living one day at a time and putting one foot in front of the other on as many race courses as I can reasonably afford. 


How about that..?!?!? 50 Half-Marathons and one in each of the 50 States is an incredible feat.  Talk about dedication...

Certainly Gail is overcoming the challenges of blood clots with a remarkable positive attitude that is for sure contagious.  You can't stop her and blood clots can't even slow here down... There is a big world out there and probably a Half-Marathon available in every country... Never to late to start on a new goal...!

Here is hoping that I get the chance to share in a post-race cheeseburger and fries with Gail as I attempt to keep up with that energy and dedication.

Enjoy the Summer coming up!

If you see Clot Buster #StopTheClot polka-dots out there say hello and ask about their story.  If nothing else remember that StopTheClot.org is out there as a resource for you to learn about blood clots and be aware.

Thank you for reading,

The Clot Buster

No comments:

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!
#100 TRIATHLONS