Follow the CLOT BUSTER on Twitter @CLOTBUSTER


Get YOUR very own CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot polka-dots

The "CLOT BUSTERs RACING to STOP THE CLOT" RUNNING SHIRT + TRIATHLON TOP + CYCLING JERSEY + PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT & PERFORMANCE VISOR and PERFORMANCE HEADBAND

PLEASE HELP US CELEBRATE CLOT SURVIVORS and spread awareness about blood clots and blood clotting disorders.
If you are a CLOT SURVIVOR you need polka-dots to inspire others and CELEBRATE that you are Survivor.
If you are a FAMILY MEMBER or FRIEND of a blood clot survivor you need polka-dots to spread the word, create awareness and CELEBRATE your Survivor's Accomplishments!



CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE TRUCKER HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE VISOR - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/


CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot SHORT SLEEVE PERFORMANCE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stopthec

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot LONG SLEEVE RUNNING SHIRT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE SOCKS - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE RUNNING SINGLET - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

CLOT BUSTER #StopTheClot PERFORMANCE BEANIE HAT - Get Yours at https://shop.stoptheclot.org/

Saturday, October 12, 2013

October Athlete of the Month (#StopTheClot #MarathonTraining)


Less than 4 weeks to go as I write this post...

Hard to believe that it is almost here and that I've been training all out running for well over 3 months...

Can't wait to toe the line in NYC and carry with me in each polka-dots the memory of a clot survivors that are not only an inspiration for me but to many others fighting their clotting incident.

There will be SEVERAL of us running on November 3rd which means a whole lot of polka-dots will be seen throughout the course.

Over the years some of the members of Team STOP THE CLOT have been featured on this blog.  Amongst them you have =

August 2012 - KAREN KHODADI

October 2012 - ERIC O'CONNOR

January 2012 - DAVID PIETRANGELO

And now October 2013's CRYSTAL GORDON!!!

Through the magic of the internet, once more, I've been able to cross paths with Crystal and even through email you can feel the contagious energy that a blood clotting incident could NOT bring down.  Her drive and enthusiasm certainly has allowed her to recover and be training for the NYC Marathon.  I am looking forward to finally get to meet her in person and maybe get some of that energy and drive rubbed off on me so that I can finish the 26.2 Miles close to when she finishes as I am sure she will leave me in her dust...

Please read on below to learn more about Crystal's background, her clotting incident story, and her inspiring words of wisdom she is so kindly sharing with us...
 

1) What is you sport/activity of choice? Why do you enjoy it? Running. I love all that running has to offer: an escape from the daily grind, the mental and physical challenge, the training, the races, friendship and that feeling you get when you cross the finish line. It has helped me to escape all the thoughts that goes through ones mind post PE.

2) How did you get started in that sport?
I've ran off and on for over 10 years now but what really got me to become a runner is when my father was diagnosed with colon cancer over 5 years ago. After getting that news I decided to raise money and run my first 5K in his honor. After that first race I was hooked. 

3) What is the latest milestone you achieved or plan to achieve?(Long bike ride, some race coming up or that you did)  
I've been training for the NYC Marathon to run along side you (she means me The Clot Buster) and the rest of Team Stop the Clot at the end of this month.  Post PE I said I'd never run another marathon and well now here I am getting ready to run my first marathon since that day.

4) Tell us about your clotting episode. Are you on blood thinners now? How long were you out of commission? 
My clotting episode happened after returning from a vacation out west with my husband. I had just ran the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon and had been feeling weak since. After a few days of not being able to return to my normal workout routine I decided to visit my doctor who suspected the pulmonary embolism. I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary emboli with infract. I had over 8 blood clots in my lungs.

I have blogged my experience from that day here:

Here is my story one year later:

I was out of commission for quite a few months. My doctors really gave me no limitations and just told me to listen to my body. So from the very start I'd push myself as much s I could. The first 3 weeks it basically took me everything I had just to walk from one point to the next. I was slow but never gave up. I noticed doing nothing made my mind wander. I disliked very much yoga and pilates but because it was something I could do I started there then slowly built my way back.

After 6 months on blood thinners they took me off and discovered that I have a severe from of protein S deficiency (a clotting disorder). I was placed back on blood thinners and will be on them indefinitely.

5) When were you able to get back into your activity? How did it feel that first time?  
About 2 months post PE I went out for a small run with a group of friends. I struggled and knew I wasn't quite ready but just being back out there for the brief period of time gave me hope. It was really this past Jan-Feb I was able to up my mileage and gradually add speed. I'm still not as fast as I was but I'm working on it.

6) What is your favorite piece of gear for your favorite activity? (Bike brand, running shoes, perhaps a running singlet or the Clot Buster's Running Polka-Dot Technical Shirt...) 
Asics running kicks, my compression socks and my Bryce Canyon tech shirt. My tech shirt reminds me that no matter how strong we think are in the end we are still flesh and blood. We can break. Our support systems (family, friends, fellow clot busters) and inner strength are what carry us through.

7) How much are you getting out doing your sport? (Everyday you do some training, 2, 3, 4 times per week) 
I run 4 times a week. a long run, tempo, speed and recovery run. I also have a great trainer/bootcamp classes and include weight training multiple times a week.

8) What is your favorite food? Either generally or after a workout. For me there is nothing better than a Chipotle Burrito...
Gosh thats tough I like all food! Post run I like avacado and eggs. In general my fav is pretty much anything that has Nutella , peanut butter or pumpkin in it.

9) If you could go some place to visit and explore, where would like to go?
Australia. I'd love to run the Sydney Half Marathon do some off road exploring in the outback with my husband.

10) What would like to say to someone who is going through a clotting episode, perhaps very similar to yours? How can people return to do what they enjoy? Tells about your concerns and what you look out after as you got back.
To anyone going through a similar experience I would say stay strong it gets better. You will come back to the strength and endurance you once had and you might just come back better than ever. Reach out to support groups they help. Facebook, The Clot Buster blog, Blood Clot Recovery Network, National Blood Clot Alliance and so many more sights have great stories, advice, and tips on recovery, blood thinners and more. I've never been an emotional person so for me learning that I almost lost my life brought me to tears many times. Once I realized that I needed this breakdown before I could become stronger, I stopped feeling weak. Realize that this is serious and your body has been through a great deal. It takes going to take time, even years to heal both physically and mentally.

After getting back into my sport and life in general things I make sure to exercise, eat right (vitamin K balance), stay on top on my INR, and stay very well hydrated.

I am so THANKFUL to Crystal for her willingness to share her story and perspective.

Without a doubt she brings a great deal of inspiration to all of us and I am rooting for her to make it to the finish line in NYC, Australia, and anywhere else she wishes to race. 

I know that she will be fast on November 3rd and SHE WILL SMILE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.

I am truly honored to be racing alongside Crystal and all the other clot survivors in the STOP THE CLOT 2013 Running Team.

Get inspired!

Thanks for reading,

The Clot Buster

No comments:

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!

My 100th Triathlon Finish !!!
#100 TRIATHLONS